Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Summer 2017, Post #8

The nine rhetorical modes are methods of presenting and structuring information.  For writers, managing these rhetorical modes ensures that both individual paragraphs and the essay as a whole are focused and coherent.  Here are the rhetorical modes in no particular order . . .

Description: this refers both to literal description (based on sensory imagery) and figurative description (based on association).  Thus, a description could provide visual details (literal description) and a simile (figurative description) in order to depict an object, idea, or scene.

Definition: elaborating the essential qualities of a thing.  For example, if I were to define "dog," I couldn't just say a "four-legged animal" since that would include cats and would exclude a dog that might be missing a leg.  Thus, writing an effective definition requires in-depth critical analysis.

Exemplification: providing examples to illustrate or "exemplify" a concept.

Cause/Effect: describing the causes or effects.  In practice, a writer could do either or both: in other words, a   writer could focus on the causes of an event, the effects of an event, or both the causes and effects of an event.

Division/Classification: breaking a concept down into categories (division) and then providing labels for each category (classification).  For example, a writer could discuss types of music (genres) and define the essential qualities of each genre.

Compare/Contrast: analyzing the similarities and differences between two topics.

Argument: making a claim and then supporting that claim with reasons and evidence.

Narration: telling a story in order to illustrate a point.

Process Analysis: detailing the steps involved in a process.  For example, a writer could discuss how to do something, or a writer could detail the steps leading up to a historical event.

There are two disclaimers:

1.  An essay does not need to use all nine rhetorical modes to be effective.
2.  These rhetorical modes work in conjunction with each other.  An effective definition may also describe and divide/classify.

For this post, read Harrison Candelaria Fletcher's "White" (p. 62), and pay attention to how he uses the various rhetorical modes.  

Then, read Tool 28 in Writing Tools in which Roy Peter Clark explores how to learn from contrast.

Finally, make (and post) a list of the rhetorical modes you plan to use in your personal essay; if you do this well, this list should function as a rough outline for your essay.

20 comments:

  1. Cause/Effect
    Description (Literal and Figurative)
    Exemplification
    Narration
    (not sure if I'll put compare/contrast in there, but we'll see.)

    -Amber Giese

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my personal essay I plan to use the following rhetorical modes:
    -Narration
    -Description
    -Exemplification

    Paige Oliver

    ReplyDelete
  3. The rhetorical modes that I plan to use in my personal essay are;
    -Narration
    -Description
    -Exemplification

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan to use the following rhetorical modes in my personal essay
    -Narration
    -Description
    -Cause/Effect
    -I might also use Exemplification

    Kimberly Irineo-Donato

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rhetorical modes that I want to use in my personal essay are:
    1. Narration
    2. Description
    3. Cause/Effect
    4. (I am not sure if I will use exemplification in my essay).

    Alondra Moreno

    ReplyDelete
  6. Narration
    Process Analysis
    Compare/Contrast
    Exemplification
    Cause/Effect
    Carlos Montejo

    ReplyDelete
  7. -Narration
    -Description
    -Definition
    -Cause/ effect
    Maybe exemplification.

    Jenny W.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Narration
    Description
    Exemplification
    Argument

    ReplyDelete
  9. Narration
    Description
    Exemplification
    Cause / Effect
    Argument

    ReplyDelete
  10. My plan for my paper is still quite rough but my plan for right now is to use,
    Narration
    Description/Exemplification
    Cause/Effect
    Then perhaps Process Evaluation

    I feel after revisions I will have a better idea of how the paper will flow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Description
    Exemplification
    Cause/Effect
    Narration

    ReplyDelete
  12. Narration
    Description
    Cause/Effect
    Exemplification

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let me just say, Tool 28 provided some very interesting examples...

    For my essay, I am planning to use:
    Description, exemplification, compare/contrast, narration, and process analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Narration
    Description
    Exemplification
    Cause/Effect

    ReplyDelete
  15. For my essay, I plan on using 4 rhetorical modes:
    Narration
    Description
    Exemplification
    Cause/Effect

    ReplyDelete
  16. Narration
    Process Analysis
    Exemplification
    Cause/Effect

    ReplyDelete
  17. Narration
    Description
    Exemplification
    Cause/Effect
    Definition (maybe...)

    ReplyDelete
  18. For my Essay I will use narration.

    I will Describe my past experiences.

    I will Define my past lessons in teaching.

    I will also compare and contrast my experience teaching in the military as a sergeant, verses teaching at the civilian level.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Define
    Describe
    Exemplification
    Cause/Effect
    Narration

    ReplyDelete
  20. In my personal essay I am going to use the rhetorical modes:
    ~Narration
    ~Description
    ~Exemplification

    ReplyDelete