Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Essay Introductions

As we discussed during the Saturday orientation, all essay introductions have three basic components: the opening, the background, and the thesis.

The opening (also known as the "hook," "lead," or "attention-grabber") should begin the essay in an original, interesting, relevant way.  The goal here is to intrigue the reader enough that he or she keeps reading your essay.  I am being paid to read your essays, so I will do that regardless, but your opening should make me want to read on . . .

How can you craft an interesting opening?  There are many different strategies, some of which parallel the rhetorical modes you brainstormed for your outline.  For example, you could begin your essay with a brief story (which is called an "anecdote"), description (maybe of a photograph), or definition.  You could also begin by asking a question, providing an interesting quote, or giving a fact or statistic.  The key is to . . . A) be original (so don't fall into the trap of using a cliche), B) be interesting, and C) be consistent with the topic and tone.

After the opening, writers should lay the groundwork for the rest of the essay.  That means introducing the main ideas and topics the essay will analyze.  For this essay, that means you should introduce the idea of photography (or photographs, photographers, people who use or look at photographs, and so on).  Maybe you'll use the rhetorical mode of definition here.  Maybe you'll divide and classify.  Maybe you'll analyze the process by which photography moved from tin-type to digital . . . Each of you will handle this part of the essay in a slightly different way, but you will all be introducing the topic of photography.

After the background, writers should present their thesis statements.  This is generally the last sentence of the introduction and provides the backbone for all the body paragraphs and information to come.  To craft an effective thesis statement, you should first think of a question.  Then, your thesis statement will be the answer to that question.  For this essay, such as question might be this: "Do photographs alienate and isolate us, or do they bring us closer together?  Or does it depend on the context?"

For this post, just describe what you will be doing in each part of your introduction.

For example . . .

A) For my hook, I am going to describe a photograph by the photographer Graciela Iturbide.
B) For the background portion, I am going to define photography and divide and classify the various ways photographs can be used.
C) For my thesis, I am going to answer the question, "How does a photograph's ambiguity allow for us to empathize with another person without actually letting us reach a true understanding of that person?"

24 comments:

  1. 1. For my hook, I will be giving a fact about photographs.
    2. For my background, I will explain what photography can provide when taken and shared.
    3. For my thesis, I will answer the question, "How does photography and the people's fascination with it cause either reaffirmation with or alienation from reality?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. A) For my hook, I am going to describe why/how photography is a science.

    B) For the background portion, I will define and describe conceptual photography as the importance of an idea being shared.

    C) For my thesis, I am going to answer the question, "What are the emotional disparities that causes one person to feel connected to a photograph, while alienating the other?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. A) For my hook, I am going to describe a photograph by a fellow classmate.
    B)For my background, I am going to describe what photography means and what it provides to us.
    C) For my thesis, I am going to answer the question "how does photography alienate and reaffirm the connection between both the individual and humanity?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. A: For my hook, I plan on asking and answering the question “what would a world without photography look like?”
    B: For my background portion, I will give statistics on when photography first came to light and how it has progressed throughout the years.
    C: For my thesis, I will answer the question “Do photographs alienate and isolate us, or do they bring us closer together? Or does it depend on the context?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. A) For my hook I'm going to describe a photo that is significant to me.
    B) For my background I plan on explaining how photography can benefit both those who take the pictures and those who view them.
    C) For my thesis I will answer the question, "How can photography make a person feel so connected yet so disconnected to the people in photographs at the same time?".

    ReplyDelete
  6. For my hook, I plan on using an antecode discussing why I have chosen photography as my hobby. How and why it appealed to me.

    Background: Discuss how the process in recording has progressed with photography as a technology.

    Thesis, I will answer the question "How does photography alienate and how does connect the individual and humanity?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. A). For my hook I will describe a photograph.

    B). For my background I define photograph and discuss how it has evolved throughout time.

    C). For my thesis I will answer the question, "How does photography both alienate and connect the individual to humanity?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. A: For my hook, I will ask a question about photography.
    B: For my background, I will talk about how photographs are used.
    C: For my thesis, I will answer a question about "How does photography alienate and how does photography connect people?"

    ReplyDelete
  9. A: For my hook, I will ask a question.
    B: For my background, I will explain how we rely on photographs.
    C: For my thesis I will answer the question "How does photography both alienate and connect the individual to humanity?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. A: For my hook, I will ask a question.
    B: For my background, I will explain the importance of photographs and explain different ways it is used to document our lives and history.
    C: For my thesis, I will answer the question “Do photographs alienate and isolate us, or do they bring us closer together? Or does it depend on the context?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. A) For my hook I’m going to ask what is photography.
    B) For the background I will provide the beginning of photography, how it has changed over time and how photographs affect us.
    C) For my thesis statement I will answer the question, “How can photography alienate us from the world around us, but also connect us with the world as well?”

    ReplyDelete
  12. A. For my hook I will define photography according to Webster's dictionary.
    B. For the background I will explain the functions of photography in society.
    C. For my these statement, I will answer the question, "How does photography simultaneously alienate us yet connect us with reality and the world around us?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. A. For my hook, I will be asking a question.

    B. For my background I will be defining photography and the different ways it is used.

    C. For my thesis statement, I will be answering my question, " What is it about a photograph that allows you to feel either alienated or connected with the world?"

    ReplyDelete
  14. A) For my hook, I am going to define photography in the eyes of others.
    B) For the background portion I will compare and contrast the evolution of photographs.
    C) For my thesis, I am going to answer the question, “How do photographs allow for us to maintain a form of relationship with those who we cannot see or interact with on a daily basis?”

    ReplyDelete
  15. A) For my hook I will be asking a question.
    B) For the background, I will describe photography and the meaning behind it.
    C) For my thesis I will answer the question, “How does photography both reaffirm connection and alienate the individual from humanity?”

    ReplyDelete
  16. A) For my hook I will be asking a question.
    B) For the background, I will explain how photography holds an important role in society today.
    C) For my thesis I will answer the question, "How does photography create feelings of alienation and reconnection simultaneously?"

    ReplyDelete
  17. A) For my hook I will describe how photography is everywhere around us.
    B) For my background, I will explain how photograph is very relevant today and the different reasons people take pictures for.
    C) For my thesis I will answer, "How does photography allow us to participate and confirm alienation between the individual and humanity and in our reality.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A) For my hook, I will introduce a quote about photography.

    B) For the background, I will describe what photography is and why someone would be compelled to take a photo.

    C) And for my thesis, I will answer the question: "How can a photograph isolate someone yet make a person feel connected with humanity?"

    ReplyDelete
  19. A) For my hook, I will be asking a question.
    B) For the background, I will be defining photography and the connection we make with them.
    C) For my thesis, I will be answering a question, "Do photographs help us embrace memories? Or do we use them to isolate ourself in them?"

    ReplyDelete
  20. A: For my hook, I ask a question.

    B: For my background, I will provide some historical information about photography.

    C: For my thesis, I will answer the question: “how can photography (paradoxically) both alienate and reaffirm the connection between that individual and humanity.”

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A.) For my hook, I will make a generalized statement that is relatable to everyone and then jump into a quote.
    B.) For background, I will explain the quote stated after the hook.
    C.) For my thesis, I will explain that an analysis of photography will be made.

    ReplyDelete
  23. 1. My hook would be an quote followed by a short story.
    2. For background, I'll explain categories of photographs
    3.Thesis will answer and support both of Sontag's claims.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hook: It will have a question.

    Background: Facts on photographs on social media.

    Thesis: Will answer the question: "Does the use of photography in social media serve to connect us or isolate us?"

    ReplyDelete